Sunday, October 22, 2006

Life Needs Laughter

Life can be very funny. Today, I came home from church and on the floor there were pieces of a Mountain Dew wrapper and the bottle all chewed up. The yellow cap had been taken off (don't ask how a dog takes off a bottle cap) and chewed flat on the other side of the room. Now I remember there being about a quarter of the Mountain Dew inside the bottle when I left it on my coffee table last night. However, there was not a spot of liquid on my carpet anywhere.

I proceeded to ask Karino (my dog), "Did you drink the Mountain Dew?" And without skipping a beat, she burped. It was such perfect timing. The anger and frustration dissipated and I just had to laugh.

Yesterday was my nephew, Caden's, 5th birthday. He had a soccer game to start the day. Caden was so excited. I said hello when I got there and he said, "Don't call me Caden. Call me the Birthday Boy." So for the entire day yesterday he was known as the birthday boy. =)

Later that day he had a party at a place called Pump It Up, which is an awesome place where boys can jump non-stop for hours. Of course, I couldn't just watch all the kids having fun and not join in myself, so I got in the bouncing thing and played too.

I have come to the realization that the reason to have kids is so that you can watch cartoons and be able to play on the playgrounds without looking like an idiot.

Then, last night my parents, my brother's family and I went to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner. We ate and then played games. Somehow we had 51 tokens to get rid of. Caden (all of us, really) were so tired that we each took 10 tokens and played games. As we neared the end of the tokens Caden started crying because his tummy hurt from all the jumping, candy, cake, and pizza. So, we left and went back to their house to open gifts. And in the middle of opening gifts Caden let out the loudest and longest toot I had ever heard come out of him. He laughed and I asked if he felt better. He said, "Yep" with a big smile on his face.

Life would be so boring without kids. Being a teacher and a coach I get to be around kids every day and it's times like yesterday that I am so glad I don't work in an office somewhere and that I am involved in my nephew's life. If it wasn't for them there wouldn't be much to smile or laugh about.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Best Family said...

hey, katie! Welcome to the blog world! I found you thru melanie's blog. It will be fun to keep up with you this way! It was good to see you at homecoming!
And my life would definately be soooo boring with out kids! I love their innocence, their honesty, and their love for life! Wish I could bottle their energy!

12:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Katie! Hi! I'm so happy you're blogging! Sure makes me smile. When my dog eats really fast, she burps, and it is hilarious every single time. If only I could get her to do it on cue, I would have endless entertainment.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! Good to see you at Homecoming!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Too funny!!! Did your dog act any different after the mountain dew?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Katie! Welcome to blogger land. I'm so excited to read about life de wells! It was great to see you in Abilene.

Ok- I, too, am anxious to hear about post-mountain-dew puppy? Any side effects?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Katie! Welcome to blogger land. I'm so excited to read about life de wells! It was great to see you in Abilene.

Ok- I, too, am anxious to hear about post-mountain-dew puppy? Any side effects?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sorry- i guess i was super excited so i had to comment twice!

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home